If you’re looking for an alternative to dairy or GMO laden soy milk then nut milks are a great way to go. I make my own raw almond milk and it costs me almost nothing and takes almost no time at all. Here’s how you can do it too – in just five simple steps.
1. Measure out one cup of organic raw almonds. Place them in a bowl of purified water and soak overnight.
2. Drain and rinse them the following morning.
3. Put them in a blender with the following:
– 3 cups of water
– 2 tablespoons of agave syrup (I use raw blue agave but you can use raw honey or skip the sweetener totally)
– 1 tablespoon of vanilla
– a pinch of sea salt (if desired)
4. Blend well.
5. Strain through a cheesecloth or clean nylon if you don’t want the pulp. I just leave it in since I use my milk as a base for smoothies and hardly notice its there. (I love to blend it with maca, banana and greens powder which gives me a great kick start to the day!)
I store my milk in a glass jar in the fridge. It keeps well for five or six days. Use it with cereal, lattes or in any recipe that calls for milk. It’s great by the glass as well and with its sweet creamy taste its a kid pleaser as well.