Sunday Funday doesn’t need to leave you feeling like you just blew your healthy eating habits completely out the window. I hosted a brunch yesterday and included these two spectacular dishes. Neither is difficult to prepare and both include healthy fats, carbs and plenty of vegetables. Try one or both together as the combination of the two is wonderful.
Vegetable Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust
2 cups shredded sweet potato or yam
2 1/2 tbsp. coconut oil (olive oil can substitute)
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
1-2 cups leafy green (I used kale but spinach or arugula would also work nicely)
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup of cheese (your choice – I used goat milk gouda)
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 450.
2. Grate sweet potatoes with box grater or food processor and then wrap in a paper towel to squeeze out excess moisture.
3. Place them in a 9″ pie pan with coconut oil, salt and pepper then mix and press evenly into the bottom and up the sides.
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown around the edges. Remove and set aside. Turn the oven down to 350.
5. In a skillet sauté onion in a little bit of coconut or olive oil, about 3-4 minutes.
6. Add your greens and tomato and sauté another 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
7. In a large bowl whisk eggs and add cheese and garlic. Add the veggie mixture and combine well.
8. Pour mixture over crust and bake for 30 minutes or until top is light brown. Let sit for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Salad Greens (I used two bags to serve 5)
2 nectarines, sliced
6 oz blue cheese, cubed
6 oz walnuts
2 tsp. maple syrup
4 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1. Place salad greens, nectarines and blue cheese in a large bowl and combine well.
2. Places walnuts in a small bowl and mix with maple syrup (you can add a pinch of salt if you desire). Bake at 350 until walnuts are carmelized. Remove and let cool.
3. Make dressing and pour on salad. Add walnuts and mix everything together well.